Alumni College Check-In

IU Logo

IU Logo

Jessie Singh '21, Executive Editor-in-Chief

As I enter into my senior year of high school, I face the decision of choosing a college to spend the next four or more years of my life at, and it absolutely is a difficult one. However, I have many resources to count on, from Brebeuf itself to my former peers that have graduated and moved on towards college, and it is important to utilize those reviews and accounts. To grasp a better understanding of how college is, I decided to interview college freshmen about their first few weeks of experience in college.

The first interview comes from former Executive Editor-in-Chief, Jett Jenkins, who is currently attending IU.  

Q: What has been the best thing about college?

A: The best thing about college is the newfound freedom that you have. Being able to make my own routine that best fits myself has been great for me so far.

Q: What has been the worst thing about college?

A: The worst thing about college is probably the fact that I can’t see all of the friends that I made in high school everyday again. Of course I still keep in touch with all of them, but I definitely miss all of them still.

Q: How are classes going and how do they work with Covid?

A: Classes have been great for me so far because they have really challenged me to be the best student I can be. Here, classes can be in-person, hybrid, or online depending on what class you take. Unfortunately all of my classes are online, but I still love going to class and having a routine.

Q: What do you miss about being at home?

A: I miss so many things about home. I definitely miss my family and friends from home. I also miss the great students and staff of Brebeuf a lot and I always look back on my time there with such great memories. 

Q: What do you like about being away from home?

A: I think the best thing about being away from home is that I can eat as much food as I want whenever I want. I’ve eaten too many Hostess Cupcakes to count during my time here so far and I don’t plan on stopping. 

Next, I decided to interview Cam Durm, also attending IU, who gave a similar answer to what Jett said about what the best thing was, how classes were going, and what was missed, but gave a different perspective about the worst thing about college and the best thing about being away from home.

A: Class workload. College is just a ton of work. It usually isn’t a lot of work if you can manage your time correctly though.

A: Meeting new people. Brebeuf, as it turns out, is a really small school. Now I meet new people every day. It’s awesome. 

Lastly, I wanted to get the perspective of someone who stayed home from college due to Covid, which came from Dexter King, attending Georgetown. 

Q: How is it doing college from home?

A: Doing college from home obviously hasn’t been great socially but my classes so far have been great even though they’re online. The biggest issue with classes is zoom fatigue. It also helps that I was lucky enough to afford to get a new place with my brother so we could live away from our parents. 

Q: Do you look forward to being there physically on campus? 

A: I definitely look forward to being back on campus (whenever that is) because although I’ve met people virtually, I want to be able to actually meet people in person and explore DC. 

College is every kid’s first step out into the real world of living by themselves, and based off the answers of the interviewees I am very much looking forward to experiencing college for myself after Covid-19 in high school. 

IU Logo