College Football Week Seven Preview

Inside Sports with Chaz

College Football Week Seven Preview

Chaz Schultz, Staff Writer

#18 UCLA vs. #15 Stanford (Thurs., 10:30pm, TV: ESPN)

Freshman quarterback Josh Rosen leads the Bruins into Palo Alto for a Thursday night Pac-12 showdown, as they face the Stanford Cardinals. Josh Rosen has been nothing but sensational so far this year outside of the Arizona State game, where the Bruins suffered a shocking home loss. Senior quarterback Kevin Hogan has led the Cardinals to four straight wins after a week-one loss to Northwestern. The Cardinals have gone on a tear beating opponents by a combined total of 169-79 and calls of Kevin Hogan for Heisman are starting to be heard.   Prediction: #15 Stanford (31-28)

#7 Michigan State vs. #12 Michigan (Sat., 3:30 pm, TV: ESPN)

The Wolverines have reeled off five straight wins, three of which involved shutting out opponents. Coach Jim Harbaugh has already established arguably the best defense in college football, but Jake Rudock is still lacking consistency in the quarterback position. Michigan State has not lived up to expectations, with only close wins over lackluster Purdue and Rutgers; however, the Spartans continue to win, which keeps them in the conversation for the College Football Playoff.  Prediction: #12 Michigan (17-14)

#8 Florida vs. #6 LSU (Sat., 7:00 pm, TV: ESPN)

One of the biggest storylines in college football so far this season is the suspension of Florida quarterback Will Grier due to a failed drug test for a banned substance. Despite this, Florida is off to its best start in three season as they enter this game undefeated under first year head coach Jim McElwain. LSU’s star running back Leonard Fournette has lived up to his lofty accolades coming out of high school. After having a solid but nothing-special freshman year, he has exploded onto the scene, leading LSU to an undefeated start as well as earning a spot as a Heisman frontrunner. Prediction: #6 LSU (27-16)

#10 Alabama vs. #9 Texas A&M (Sat., 3:30 pm, TV: CBS)

This season Alabama has looked impressive (to say the least) outside of their one loss to Ole Miss in a game where seemingly everything that could go right for the Rebels did go right. Alabama’s defense is stout as usual, and with an offense led by running back Derrick Henry and quarterback Jake Coker, the Crimson Tide are certainly poised to make a mid-season push to get back into the middle of the playoff race. Under head coach and Brebeuf alum Kevin Sumlin, the Aggies have destroyed opponents en route to a 5-0 start. However, the level of competition has certainly not been very difficult. Alabama routed Texas A&M 59-0 last year in Tuscaloosa in a one-sided affair.  Prediction: #10 Alabama (35-27)

#17 Iowa vs. #20 Northwestern (Sat., 12:00 pm, TV: ABC/ESPN2)

Coming off a last week shutout loss to Michigan, the Wildcats are looking to bounce back and pick off a big win against a ranked opponent. Northwestern’s defense has been stout this season, only allowing 12.2 points per game, and with the emergence of running back Justin Jackson, the Wildcats are off to an impressive start. Iowa is probably the best team in the country that nobody is talking about. The level of competition has been great, however a victory over Wisconsin on the road has turned some heads. Prediction: #20 Northwestern (21-20)

USC vs. #14 Notre Dame (Sat., 7:30 pm, TV: NBC)

Early this week, former USC coach Steve Sarkisian was fired due to an apparent alcohol problem. Before the season began, Sarkisian was reportedly drunk at a school fundraising event, which raised some red flags. After USC’s sluggish start and other problems, he finally was shown the door. Notre Dame has endured plenty of injuries this season, notably quarterback Malik Zaire and running back Tarean Folston, but have looked impressive, getting off to a 5-1 start with the only loss coming on the road to #5 Clemson.  Prediction: #14 Notre Dame (24-13)

Penn State vs. #1 Ohio State (Sat., 8:00 pm, TV: ABC)

Last week against Maryland, Urban Meyer finally plugged in backup quarterback J.T. Barrett for “redzone purposes only,” which seemed to work well as they handily defeated the Terps. Penn State has been injury-prone at the running back position, and the offense has been stuttering with talented quarterback Christian Hackenberg not living up to high expectations at the start of the season. With that being said, the Nittany Lions have reeled off five wins in a row and are looking to shake things up in the college football playoff race with a win Saturday.   Prediction: #1 Ohio State (24-20)

Purdue vs. Wisconsin (Sat., 12:00 pm, TV: BTN)

Purdue has gotten off to a sluggish start to the season with a record of 1-5. In their defense, they have had some heartbreaking close losses to Marshall, Bowling Green, and Michigan State; however, they have also endured blowout losses to Minnesota and Virginia Tech at home. Wisconsin has had a mediocre season so far under first year head coach Paul Chryst, however the last-second win on the road at Nebraska last weekend puts the Badgers at 4-2 and creates something to build on going forward this season. Prediction: Wisconsin (35-10)

Rutgers vs. Indiana (Sat., 3:30 pm, TV: BTN)

Rutgers certainly has had its fair share of outside distractions this year, including the firing of Coach Kyle Flood and the suspension of wide receiver Leonte Caroo for assault accusations. The charges have since been dropped, and Caroo has been reinstated into the program. This season, Indiana got off to their best start since 1990, winning their first four games, but have since cooled off. Injuries to star running back Jordan Howard and quarterback Nate Sudfeld have hindered the Hoosiers up-tempo offensive attack, however both players are listed as game-time decisions this weekend. Backup quarterback Zander Diamont also suffered a shoulder injury last week against Penn State. According to coach Kevin Wilson, Diamont will be out for 2-4 weeks; it is apparent that Danny Cameron will get the start if Sudfeld does not get the nod.  Prediction: Indiana (38-27)

Chaz’s Top 25

• Utah
  • Baylor
  • Ohio State
  • LSU
  • TCU
  • Michigan
  • Clemson
  • Alabama
  • Texas A&M
  • Michigan State
  • Florida
  • Ole Miss
  • Florida State
  • Stanford
  • Iowa
  • Notre Dame
  • UCLA
  • Oklahoma State
  • California
  • Oklahoma
  • Boise State
  • Houston
  • Duke
  • Toledo
  • Temple